Highlight these Tax Dates in Your 2016 Calendar
Grab your fluorescent highlighters and pick a color that you like. It’s time to mark important tax dates on your 2016 calendar!
- January 15 – Due date for the fourth and final installment of 2015 estimated tax for individuals (unless you file your 2015 return and pay any balance due by February 1).
- February 1 – Employers must furnish 2015 W-2 statements to employees. Payers must furnish 1099 information statements to payees. (The deadline for Form 1099-B and consolidated statements is February 16.)
- February 1 – Employers must generally file 2015 federal unemployment tax returns and pay any tax due.
- February 29 – Payers must file information returns (except Forms 1095-B and 1095-C) with the IRS. (March 31 is the deadline if filing electronically.)
- February 29 – Employers must send W-2 copies to the Social Security Administration. (March 31 is the deadline if filing electronically.)
- March 15 – 2015 calendar-year corporation income tax returns are due.
- March 15 – Deadline for calendar-year corporations to elect S corporation status for 2016.
- March 31 – Large employers must furnish Form 1095-C to employees.
- April 18*** – Individual federal income tax returns and annual gift tax returns for 2015 are due unless you file for an automatic extension. Taxes are due regardless of extension.
- April 18*** – 2015 federal partnership returns are due.
- April 18 – First installment of 2016 individual estimated tax is due.
- May 31 – Payers must file Forms 1095-B and 1095-C with the IRS. (June 30 is the deadline if filing electronically.)
- June 15 – Second installment of 2016 individual estimated tax is due.
- September 15 – Third installment of 2016 individual estimated tax is due.
- October 17 – Deadline for filing your 2015 individual tax return if you filed for an extension of the April 18 deadline.
***April 19 for taxpayers in Maine and Massachusetts.